Shankill Castle was initially a Butler tower-house, situated near the ruins of an old church. In 1708, it was rebuilt by Peter Aylward who bought the land from his wife’s family. The new Shankill Castle was constructed as a Queen Anne house, set in a formal landscape, vista to the front and canal to the rear.
In the 19th century, the house was enlarged and castellated. Serpentine bays were added to the canal and an unusual polyhedral sundial given pride of place on a sunken lawn. A gothic porch bearing the Aylward crest and a delightful conservatory were other additions. The stableyard and the castellated entrance to the demesne are attributed to Daniel Robertson.